- Spinal cord diameter enlarged.
- Eccentric epicenter for tumor.
- Average length of the tumor is 8 spinal segments, which is twice that of astrocytomas.
- Cysts in 46%.
- Mixed intensity: Only a small percentage are homogeneously hypointense or isointense.
- Blurred margins as with astrocytomas are common.
- Gadolinium enhances in most cases. 65% of cases will have patchy enhancement, while 20% will have focal enhancement, and 15% can show no enhancement.
- Variable intensity: 60% of intramedullary gangliogliomas will be hyperintense while the remaining 40% will be heterogeneous.